Yay, another hugely successful and very simple crockpot meal! This recipe created a moist, delicious chicken where the meat was so tender that it really fell off the bones. Also, the smell when you walk into the kitchen is divine!
However, one housemate is a bit squicked by seeing meat on bones, so I’ll probably pick off his meal’s worth and put it on a plate for him next time, instead of simply setting the pot on the table for everyone to help themselves. Both housemates also agreed more lemon wouldn’t be untoward, and told me I should feel free to make this again if I wanted! :)
Lemon Herb Roasted Chicken
4-6 pound roasting chicken
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1-2 tablespoons butter
Juice of one lemon
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
2 tablespoons fresh parsley
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/3 teaspoon paprika
- Place the onion on the cavity of the chicken and rub the skin with butter. Place chicken in crockpot.
- Squeeze lemon juice over chicken and sprinkle with remaining seasonings. Cover and cook on Low 8-10 hours or on High 4-5 hours.
- Serves 5-6 — had way more leftovers than I expected!
- Cold raw chickens are just gross! ;) Also, next time I’ll skin it first, so there’s not quite so much fat.
- The internet says the juice of one lemon is about 3 tablespoons.
- I used sage instead of thyme, and didn’t add any salt, which all worked just fine.
So, if anyone tries this, let me know how it came out! :)